September 8, 2021 By Richcom Technology –2 Min Read
RAM is the memory of a computer that you can read or change at any time you want. The data stored in RAM is lost when there is no power supply to your PC or your laptop is switched off. It is called the main memory or cache memory of the PC. RAM stands for Random Access Memory.
What is DDR3?
DDR3 is an important type of 3rd generation RAM used for system memory. This kind of RAM can transfer data from one place to another at a greater speed. DDR3 stands for Double Data Rate.
We have mentioned the most important features of DDR3 RAM down below:
- 1.8 V Operating Voltage
- Dynamic ODT for better signaling
- Great Architecture
- Includes Device Reset
- Better device pinout
- Read Levelling
- Drive Calibration
- 800 to 1600 Mega Transfers per second (data transfer rate)
Here are the benefits of using DDR3.
- It transfers data at a higher rate of around 6400MBps.
- It allows higher bandwidth and data rates.
- It consumes less power.
- It offers battery latency as compared to DDR2.
What is DDR4?
DDR4 is the latest form of RAM, used in the next generations of computers widely. The reduced rate of DDR4 comes with optimum efficiency and a high speed. DDR4 SDRAM stands for Double Data Rate 4th Gen Synchronous Dynamic RAM.
Features of DDR4
Here are the best features of DDR4 RAM:
- Lower standard of signaling.
- Dynamic ODT for better signaling.
- Great Architecture.
- Write Levelling.
- Better Device pinout.
- DIMM address mirroring.
- 2133 to 3200 MT/s data transfer rate.
Here are the pros of DDR4:
- DDR4 has increased module density.
- It consumes very little power.
- It is the best for high-speed games.
- It has great DIMM capabilities.
- The data transfer rate is higher and faster as compared to the older versions.
- It can transfer data at higher speed and at low voltage.
- The latency is better than old versions.
- It refreshes its content by self-refresh so it uses less power.
Here are the key differences between DDR3 and DDR4:
- DDR4 uses less power and has better speed than DDR3.
- DDR3 RAM is old and is compatible with the older RAM versions while DDR4 is a new version and is not compatible with the other generations of RAM.
- DDR3 RAM comes with a 240-pin interface while the DDR4 RAM comes with a 288-pin interface.
- The speed of DDR3 RAM can go up to 1600MHz while the minimum speed of DDR4 RAM is 2133MHZ and can go up to 3200MHz.
The laptop RAM prices in Srilanka are quite high, but we offer the most affordable rates. For your laptop, we recommend the KINGSTON 4GB DDR3L. It’s fast and has a good capacity. The KINGSTON 4GB DDR3L 1600MHZ LAPTOP RAM price in Srilanka is 8,500 LKR.
The same is the case with desktop RAM prices in Srilanka, but again, we offer you the best rates. When it comes to desktop RAM, our recommended product is the KINGSTON 4GB DDR4. The KINGSTON 4GB DDR4 2400MHZ DESKTOP RAM price in Srilanka is 6,750 LKR. For more recommendations on which RAM to buy we have exclusive buying guides on both Desktop RAM and Laptop RAM.